VARI® FORMS ADVISORY BOARD
Power players in real estate and technology join board to help amplify company’s rapid growth
4 Minute Read
DALLAS, Sept. 15, 2021 – Vari, a workspace innovation company, announces the formation of the Vari Advisory Board, a group of innovative business leaders who will provide strategic counsel. Vari welcomes Margot Carter, Ka Cotter, Russell Denson, and Debra von Storch as Advisory Board members.
The Advisory Board brings a wealth of experience, specifically around scaling the business as Vari continues its national expansion of sales offices and showrooms in new markets. Members will also provide critical insight into advancements in workspace innovation and technology.
“Having the depth of knowledge that these incredible experts bring will give us new ways of thinking and drive our business forward,” said Jason McCann, chief executive officer and co-founder of Vari. “With the traditional workspace model changing, we are focused on evolving our product and service offerings to help the world reimagine the future of workspace to elevate people.”
Vari Advisory Board appointees include:
- Margot Carter is a leader in building businesses in technology, construction and real estate. She is president of Living Mountain Capital and co-founder of Cien, an artificial intelligence company dedicated to improving sales productivity by using its artificial intelligence to clean up CRM data to make the data actionable and rich in information. Margot successfully advises companies and pe firms on Digital transformation and innovative and disruptive strategies. Previously, as Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer of RealPage, she led the company’s IPO. Margot is the Lead Director, Chair of the Nominating and Governance Committee and a member of the Audit Committee of Installed Building Products. Additionally, she is a member of the Nominating and Governance Committee and Audit Committee of Eagle Materials Inc. and serves on the board of Freeman Company, the world’s largest brand experience business.
- Ka Cotter’s career spans commercial real estate brokerage, nonprofit leadership, corporate boards and executive coaching. Ka was The Staubach Company’s top revenue producing broker for 10 consecutive years closing more large office transactions in one year than any office broker in Dallas. As Dallas Regional Manager she implemented the company’s expansion into four new U.S. markets and eventually international markets. Ka served on the committee to build the Perot Museum, chaired the boards of UTD Center for Brain Health and YWCA/WiNGS. Ka has been awarded the Lifetime Achievement award by the YWCA and Outstanding Achievement from Commercial Real Estate Women.
- Russell Denson has decades of experience as a CEO and Director in both public and private companies in the media and other industries. He has worked in mature companies, turnaround situations and start-ups. He has led companies to successful outcomes with sales, mergers, restructurings and public and private financings. Russell currently serves as Chairman of Gulf Energy Information, a leading content provider to the energy industry, and a Director of Peerless Media, a leading content provider and lead generator for the logistics category. He is an active advisor and private investor with holdings in real estate (including office, retail and residential), media, marketing, commodities and alternative financing.
- Debra von Storch is a retired senior executive of EY (formerly known as Ernst & Young) with decades of experience guiding companies through their growth journey. She has deep knowledge of the business issues that high-growth companies face, having worked with everything from startups to global Fortune 500 enterprises. She served as the Americas Director for the EY Entrepreneur Of The Year® program, the world’s most prestigious business award for entrepreneurs, with programs in 60 countries. In 2017, Vari founders Jason McCann and Dan Flaherty were named EY U.S. Entrepreneurs Of The Year in the emerging category. She previously advised a $1.6B technology company operating in more than 80 countries. Additionally, von Storch is the Chair of Compensation Committee and a member of the Audit Committee of Canoo, Inc. She is the Chair of the Audit Committee and member of the Compensation Committee of CSW Industrials.
Advisory Board Member Quotes:
- Margot Carter: “I’m excited to help expand Vari’s progress in reimagining and inspiring the future of work with spaces that prioritize flexibility, efficiency, collaboration and innovation. By helping to grow and expand Vari’s reach, we can help empower more organizations to create better workforce experiences whenever, wherever and however people work.”
- Ka Cotter: “Vari is growing quickly, not only in their breadth of product, but in terms of geographic presence as they enter new markets across the United States. I love the culture, team, and their mission. I am thrilled to be part of the new Advisory Board for such an innovative company.”
- Russell Denson: “For more than 20 years, I’ve known and from time to time advised Vari founders Jason and Dan. What they’ve accomplished in the short life of Vari has been remarkable -- innovative, disruptive, and successful. They are changing an industry, not to mention lives, all while creating value. I’m honored to be a member of Vari’s Advisory Board and to support their mission.”
- Debra von Storch: “Since meeting Jason and Dan in 2017, they have always included me as a part of the Vari family. Vari products and services can make a major impact on the future of work. I’m excited about the future of Vari and thrilled to be a part of the new Advisory Board.”
Vari is best known for taking sit-stand desks mainstream around the world. In 2020, the company rebranded to Vari from its former name, VariDesk.
Today, Vari has a full line of workspace products, including conference tables, movable walls, soft seating, storage, lighting and more. The company's flexible office furniture helps fast-growing organizations adapt as business needs change. Workspace design planning is typically complimentary, and Vari products are in-stock and available quickly.
Since 2020, Vari has expanded into Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Charlotte, Denver, Houston, Nashville, Phoenix, Raleigh-Durham, Tampa, and Washington D.C. The company is currently looking for corporate sales talent in those markets.